Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Greece Vacation: The Acropolis

Recently I was lucky enough to travel to Greece for 10 days. It was an amazing vacation. A dream vacation. In the next couple of posts I will be discussing various things that I observed while there. I spent my time in Attica and Crete. I'm going to start these posts in the most obvious place, the Acropolis.



The Acropolis was amazing to see in person. I unfortunately do not posses the vocabulary to properly express what it is like to be in a place that one has studied and imagined for years. I will only say that I was overwhelmed and lost in a euphoria.

When visiting the Acropolis I was naturally drawn to the Parthenon, as one should be. After all it was built to awe visitors and honor the Goddess Athena. Athena happens to be my favorite of all the Greek Gods. Despite this natural draw I found that I preferred spending my time admiring another building on the Acropolis, the Erechtheum.

The Erechtheum is located in the north side of the Acropolis. While significantly smaller than the Parthenon it provides it's visitors with a rare sight. Caryatids, statues of draped women functioning as columns, support the "Porch of Maidens". The porch is located on the south side of the building, leaving the statues forever gazing at the Parthenon. Today the original Caryatids reside in the British Museum, except for one located in the Acropolis Museum (Which was closed as they were moving the artifacts from the old museum to a new museum.).



The Erechtheum was built for an ancient Hero named Erichthonius, although some believe it was actually built in honor of the legendary King Erechtheus. The building was erected sometime between 421 and 407 BCE.

No comments: